The following websites contain information that you may find helpful in understanding more about depression and anxiety and the sort of help that is available for sufferers.
The Black Dog Institute
The Black Dog Institute is a not-for-profit, educational, research, clinical and community-oriented facility offering specialist expertise in depression and bipolar disorder.
The Anxiety Disorders Association of Victoria
The Anxiety Disorders Association of Victoria is a not-for-profit, self-funded organisation. We provide support, information and resources to individuals suffering from or affected by anxiety, depression, and related issues.
We act as an entry-level service with “grass-roots” support and resources for issues including anxiety, stress, worry, and its related disorders such as depression, phobias, panic attacks, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), sleep disorders, and self-esteem problems.
ADAVIC exists to:
- Reassure people that they are not alone in their distress and that assistance is available
- Provide a friendly and supportive environment where people can share their feelings and experiences with fellow sufferers
- Challenge and encourage people to overcome their fears and sense of isolation by providing support group meetings and group activities
- Provide low-cost and practical resources such as phone and email support, support groups, courses and workshops, lectures, and information kits
- Promote awareness, and de-stigmatise anxiety, depression, and related issues, in the general community
Our mission is to provide a national focus and community leadership to increase the capacity of the broader Australian community to prevent depression and respond effectively.
We aim to build a society that understands and responds to the personal and social impact of depression, works actively to prevent it, and improves the quality of life for everyone affected.
The Anxiety Recovery Centre (VIC)
The Anxiety Recovery Centre Victoria (ARCVic) is a state-wide, specialist mental health organisation that provides support, recovery and educational services to people and families living with anxiety disorders. Education, training and consultation services are provided to professionals and agencies to promote wider availability of services for people with anxiety disorders.
ARCVic is managed by people with anxiety disorders and family members, and professional staff, and supported by many dedicated volunteers.
ARCVic is a charitable, non-profit organisation, primarily funded by the Department of Human Services (Victoria), and supported by membership, donations and sponsorships.
Mindfulness and ACT
These two web sites are operated by Russ Harris, author of The Happiness Trap and also various CDs and other books and free downloads. The websites detail using mindfulness and other cognitive and behavioural techniques to live a more meaningful life.